Wednesday, October 22, 2014

[Bethany Lutheran Church] Yay God!

Hi Bethany Lutheran,

This past Sunday, I asked for "Yay God" moments that have been happening in your life and you delivered!  As expected, it's a long list.  Some are happy moments.  Some still require our prayer.  Some are inspirational, and some will bring tears to your eyes.  Please take a minute to read through the awesome ways that God is at work in this community.

Pr. Paul Cannon

Yay God!

Our family and parents are healthy and happy.

My wife started a new jog and it’s going well.

It feels good to be back at Bethany after “the summer break”.

I’m receiving radiation therapy to alleviate my pain.  There is more hope.

Keep me healthy.  Continue to heal my son’s broken leg.  Let him enjoy his new dog.

Working at the Habitat House yesterday.

Safe travels to/from Iowa (4 hours each way) while driving in the rain.

Visiting family & friends in PA.

Watching home movies with 3 of our grandchildren of when toddlers – included their mom who has been gone for 3 years.

Back in remission.

My mom & husband are cancer free – my husband 5 years and my mom 1 year!

We were coming back from Wisconsin on Columbus Day.  A trip that would take 5.5 hours took 7 hours due to heavy down pour of rain.  We prayed.

2 Years cancer free!

We are back in Church – the place where you brought us together.

Always when having a bad day the thought of a wonderful friend comes to me and puts a smile on my face and having her in my life makes everything okay.

Qualifying for state in tennis.

There has been peace in our house this week.

The new tradition had a joint concert with the Purdue Varsity Glee Club.  There young men were an inspiration in the way they lived their lives centered in Christ.

I was able to safely come home to see my family.

When my hope was at its lowest, Pastor Paul’s sermon was a welcomed reminder.

I have the opportunity to spend the weekend with my great niece who as an unstable home life.

God supported me with the talents that he has given me to help, support other people with my crafts.

Chance to help a neighbor to be patient with a stranger.

Seeing family together for good times and in tough times, laughing, crying & praying together.

Having dinner with dear friends that I have sent to see mother.

We had over 50 people at Fanning the Flame to determine God’s mission for Bethany.

God brought my son’s family for an unexpected visit.

Attended Fanning the Flame.

Sharing an evening with High School classmates gathering after 57 years.  People came from far away even for this one evening – joyful meetings & remembering those years and those who didn’t make it.

People who volunteer for Habitat for Humanity.

A safe trip to and from Door County Wisconsin.

For your many blessings that you have given us.

Helping formulate the future of Bethany in the meetings being held.

My 8th grade confirmation group is terrific.

All the love and help and care I received from friends & family after recent hospital stay.

Thank you for a cancer free test being passed.

Reading this morning about all the wonderful support services that our Lutheran Social Services of Illinois is offering to addicts, single parents and families in need.

As sports seasons come to a close, keeping our young athletes healthy and safe – win or lose.

Being able to come home & visit my family for the weekend, from college.

It’s wonderful to see God’s beauty in the vibrant fall colors – especially after the rain – when the brilliant sum shies.  God’s love brought 3 friends together.

Gave me the strength and patience and love I need to take care of my daughter’s family for 7 weeks while they were in military training.

I was a passenger in a car this week on 294 when the driver fell asleep & crossed 2 lanes.  There were no trucks/cars in those lanes. Could have been bad going.

Healthy – less pain.  Encouraging phone calls.  Granddaughter, daughter, son.

Hearing the news that Sharon Saunders has won her latest bought with cancer.

For Friends returning health.

I was able to see friends.  My wife and everything that God provided.

Habitat for Humanity Day – seeing a dozen people put aside egos and titles and collaborate to provide one of life’s basic needs to a family struggling to establish a stable home.

Knowing I have great family that I can fall back on when times get tough.

Sister feeling stronger and happy – chemo treatments are over!

3 wonderful, healthy children.  Reuniting with old friends.  Dedicated family oriented husband.  My amazing mother-in-law.

After a rainy morning on homecoming day, just as the football game began, the clouds parted, the rain stopped and the sun came out!

Being a part of the PPT meeting last Thursday.

For the house being rehabbed through Habitat for Humanity in Elgin for Sandy.

I was able to help a kindergartner get over her anxiety separation from her mom.

More time to get a job and work done.

Individual I work with discovered their progress in their recovery.

College visit  with Gabriel.  Skyped with Jordan 2x this week.  Spent time w/nieces/nephew.  Celebrated mom’s 66 birthday.

Co-worker has been suffering from leukemia 1 year, had rejection of a stem cell transplant and recently suffered cardiac arrest.  Sister-in-law recovering from back surgery.

Having provided the needed resources for Ryan.

God Moments – Sweetest Day – Expectations of a call I received from my son – and granddaughter & the words she spoke.  Thank you sinner at Golden Coral & ministries of women.

On my daughter when she told me she gave transportation to a lady she just met.  The lady was going to wait 2 hours for her husband to pick her up at work & she offered to take her home.  On the way she also pick the lady’s daughter.  God’s work, our hands!

When I went to Aldi for groceries and couldn’t find a quarter for a card, a stranger gave me theirs, so I did the same when I left when I saw a women struggling to find a quarter for the cart.

Thank you God for people who step into my life during a very difficult summer.  Like Pastor Paul who brought Brian to the hospital to be with my mom, leaving the mission trip.  Like my friends who have been around on days that it rains hardest to remember my mom.  For my Mom!

God gave me the strength to serve at the food pantry enabling me to help others in need.

Two “YaHa” moments – 1.  Won a hot fudge Sunday at a bank movie.  2.  Attended a memorial gathering for a friend and received an apple & donuts in her memory.

The caring and compassion seen in my wife – she inspires me!

Just this past week I feel alive again.

The love of my spouse despite my sins and weaknesses are a sign of God’s grace & love.

Starting a beautiful fall day with my soul mate.

For welcoming my nephew Dave to his heavenly home after years of suffering and pain.

For my daughter’s new job to be with my grandkids.

When I thought I’d lost my garage remote and prayed “Oh, God, please let that not have happened – let me find it” &I did.  No other way to enter  - no regular door.

Clerk responded with a smile and gave a wish of joy.

Avoided car accident yesterday.

Seeing Bob on Tuesday this month.

I made 3 new friends.  I achieved a huge goal of mine that involved a lot of confidence.

Every day when my daughter walks in from school – safely making her drive home.

My in-law was in a terrible car accident recently while driving to work.  It was about 9am.  She had just dropped her daughter off at grandma’s house.  Another driver ran a red light, hit her car, sent it spinning and hit a pole.  Another driver who witnessed the accident pulled over, left her own child in his car seat and rushed to her her out of the car as it began to smoke and catch fire.  Had her daughter still been in the car she might have died based on the damage to the side where her car seat sat.  Had the good Samaritan not stopped to selflessly try to pry the driver door open and get her out – no telling what might have happened.  The good Samaritan also had presence of mind to grab her purse.  The car was eventually engulfed in flames.  The other driver had no major injuries but had her license revoked.  This was her 3rd accident.

Yesterday God helped my team win our flag football game.

He brought my mother out twice this past week to be with our family.  She hasn’t come out much since Dad died.

The sky is blue, the leaves are different shades of red, orange and yellow & the seasons are changing beautifully.

A week of peace with my teenage daughter.

For this beautiful day and general well-being.

Pulled me out of a bad jog and opened a new opportunity to me.  Helped our daughter adjust to living alone at college.

I spend an evening alone with my wonderful little granddaughter.

Two healthy and good kids acolyting together for the first time.

For the help at the Garden and our all that was accomplished.

I had a good chemo #4 treatment on Friday – still feel good on Sunday AM.

Great fellowship with Bethany members at our home last night.

A member got a job!

God’s presence was found in the lift of live music this last week.  The organ playing by Allison Baccia, the voice of Gwendolyn Brown, the piano of Allison Boccia, the talents of the Elgin Symphony orchestra and especially the cello of Matt Agnew, the piano and invention of jazz great- Ahmad Jamal and his quartet.  God’s creation continues through human creativity.

Watching the grandson’s marathon win 2nd out of 10 groups on Friday.  God helped them through this all the way!

I never believed that playing the tambourine would life me up as it has. I leave worship with a smile and a feeling of hope to face the week.

Boys of mine fix everything broken or fix it.

Radiation treatments have lessened his pain from cancer.

Got to see our daughter and granddaughter for a few hours and they returned home safely.

Bryon was released from the hospital with the pain under control.  The cancer tumor can be treated w/radiation.  He has completed 4 out of 10 treatments.  He is free from pain.

Medical miracle of a new hip.

On January 30th, my son passed away from a terrible disease.  As he passed when they removed the mask and he took his last breath, he mouthed one word “Mom”.  I believe he saw his mother who passed away nine months earlier and was waiting for him.

 

 

Thanks be to God for the hope afforded to us through death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the work of the Holy Spirit.

Amen


This email sent by: