Wednesday, March 20, 2013

[Bethany Lutheran Church] Wednesday Words for March 20, 2013

Wednesday Words for March 20, 2013

from Pastor Carrie Smith

Thought for the Day:

“There are many things that can only be seen through eyes that have cried.”

Archbishop Oscar Romero, who was assassinated on March 24, 1980 as he celebrated Mass.

***

In our prayers: Gerda Kristensen (now at her daughter’s home); Kathy Sukel (now home); John Therrien (now home); Gwen Therrien (failing eyesight); Sharon Saunders (now home, undergoing tests); Linnea Becker (now home); Carol Stupar (in rehab); Jim Stupar (recently diagnosed with ALS); Evelyn Bunt (mother of Bob Bunt, nearing the end of her life). We give thanks to God for the births of Madison Behrens, great-granddaughter of Ray Rudden, and Declan Smith, grandson of Linnea & Fred Becker.

We also pray for Mission Save a Smile while they are in Panama on their dental mission. Learn more about Mission Save a Smile here: Mission Save a Smile

Tonight at Bethany: Soup Supper at 6 pm followed by our last Lenten “Prayer Around the Cross” Service at 7 pm.

Sunday at Bethany: It’s Palm/Passion Sunday! The 7:45 service begins inside as usual. If you are worshipping at 9 am or 10:45 am, please plan to gather under the canopy to receiveyour palm branches. We will then process into the church singing “All Glory Laud and Honor”, enacting the scene of Jesus entering Jerusalem to the cheers/jeers of the crowd.

The “sermon” will be a dramatic interactive reading of the Passion. Special music will be provided by the Sonshine Singers and the Bethany Adult Choir.

“Whimsical Biblical”: Pastor Arlyn Tolzmann, who served as interim pastor here at Bethany in 2010-2011, has a book of poems coming out soon! You can purchase it on Amazon here: Whimsical Biblical 

Pr. T tells me Bethany members had a big part in encouraging him to seek publication of this book. Way to go, Pastor!

Holy Week Schedule:

Wednesday: First Communion Meal at 6 pm; First Communion Worship at 7 pm. Please RSVP to Pr. Paul if you plan to attend! paul.cannon@Bethanylc.com

Maundy Thursday at 11 am (followed by a potluck senior lunch) and 7 pm. Yes, we will be washing feet, so if you plan to participate in that part of the service, bring shoes that can be removed easily. At 7 pm, you are invited to help strip the altar and remove all worship appointments from the chancel in preparation for Good Friday.

Good Friday: 11 am: Stations of the Cross. In this prayer service, we will walk through the stations, represented by artwork and modern images, hearing the story of the crucifixion and lighting a candle at each station.

Good Friday 7 pm: Good Friday Liturgy with adoration of the cross. The Bethany Choir will be singing several times, in response to the reading of the Passion. The large wooden cross will be processed in during the solemn reproaches (an ancient chanted prayer of the church).

Easter Vigil, Saturday at 7 pm: Gather under the parking lot canopy for the lighting of the new fire. Then we’ll process into a darkened church, carrying candles, and there will hear the story of God’s people from Creation to the Flood to Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace and, finally, to the story of Jesus Christ and his resurrection. We will celebrate the baptism of five babies and children, and will be blessed by music and dance from the adult choir, the Sonshine singers, the Vision Dancers, and the drum ministry! This service will last about 2 hours and will be followed by a reception in Luther Hall. 

Want to know more about the Easter Vigil tradition? This short video shows how it is celebrated in Jerusalem, at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. At the site of Jesus' tomb, the Easter Vigil service is held on Saturday morning, so that the resurrection is always the first place in the world to proclaim Christ's resurrection! Easter Vigil in Jerusalem 

Easter Sunday morning: worship is at 8:30 am and 10:30 am, with the Youth serving a light breakfast between services. Bethany knows how to celebrate, and this year will be no different! Handbells, brass, organ, dancers, Sonshine singers, drums, flowers, and the liturgical arts team will be transforming the cocoon into something fantastic. Come early for the best seats!

***

This Week’s Texts: Palm/Passion Sunday

Isaiah 50:4-9

The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty? All of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up.

Psalm 31:9016 (Message Version)

Be kind to me, God
    I’m in deep, deep trouble again.
I’ve cried my eyes out;
    I feel hollow inside.
My life leaks away, groan by groan;
    my years fade out in sighs.
My troubles have worn me out,
    turned my bones to powder.
To my enemies I’m a monster;
    I’m ridiculed by the neighbors.
My friends are horrified;
    they cross the street to avoid me.
They want to blot me from memory,
    forget me like a corpse in a grave,
    discard me like a broken dish in the trash.
The street-talk gossip has me
    “criminally insane”!
Behind locked doors they plot
    how to ruin me for good.

14-18 Desperate, I throw myself on you:
    you are my God!
Hour by hour I place my days in your hand,
    safe from the hands out to get me.
Warm me, your servant, with a smile;
    save me because you love me.

 

Philippians 2:5-11

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross. Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Luke 22:14-23:56

You can read the Passion narrative here: The Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ 

 

Peace,

+ Pastor Carrie Smith

Carrie.smith@bethanylc.com

 

 

 


This email sent by: